»

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Dress

I definitely had an idea of what I liked and what I didn't going into my appointment. Unfortunately, the girl who was helping me, really wasn't that much of a help. My mom, my little sister, and one of my bridesmaids came to the appointment with me. Without them, I don't think I would have been able to try anything I liked on.

The consultant began by asking me my pant size and if I had an idea of what I wanted. I told her my size and pulled out pictures I had taken from bridal magazines. She directed me to go to my fitting room and she would bring the dresses to me. She brought about 4 or so dresses over and hung them up. She gave me the first one and told me she gave me two sizes bigger than my pant size since according to her wedding dresses run small. I put on the dress, which looked nothing like the pictures I liked and put it on. Not only was it not what I wanted, it gaped and hung limply on me since it was too big. There was no shape what so ever to my body and it was not what I imagined I would look like on my big day.

After about four more dresses, I did not like a single one. The girl went and got more and I tried them on. None of them fit well, but for some reason I didn't speak up and ask for a smaller size. I guess I forgot I was spending a lot of money there and what I thought or wanted was more important than what the consultant thought. I took a break and walked around the store with my bridesmaid. We both saw the poster at the same time. It was very similar to pictures I had brought in. I asked the consultant to try it on, and she said they didn't have it in-stock in "my" size. At this point I finally got the nerve to just go and get the dress myself in the size I wanted to try on. I put the dress on and came out. It not only fit perfect, but it was "the" dress. I would post a picture, but I don't want Bryce to see it. The pictures must wait until after the wedding.

We told the consultant we wanted to purchase the dress. Unbelievably, she asked me if I wanted to order the dress one size bigger. If I hadn't liked the dress so much, I probably would have punched her and walked out! I wonder if they tell the consultants to try to sell a size or two bigger so the alteration bill is larger.

After I chose my dress, I went and looked for the bridesmaid dresses. I had an idea of what I wanted and within no time at all I found what I was looking for. I wanted a long black dress with a maroon accent sash around the waist and I found exactly that. Another item checked off the to-do list!






0 comments: